Skip to main content

Small Victories

January 18th, 2018

Sometimes in the darkness we have to find the good things to focus on no matter how small. So for me in the past couple of days I have really had to focus on the small things to get me through.

The last time I had a fight with my mother it ended very badly for me because the depression struggle was real. I was not able to overcome the pain that I was feeling until I fell into a really awful cycle with my self-harm. Granted that was years ago but when we came to another falling apart I didn't know how it was going to go.

Sadly it was due to me sticking up for myself for the first time in the 21 years that I have been alive. I made a decision I should come first and my education should come first but it came back to bite me. Yes, there were a lot of tears because I care about her and felt like everything fell apart but then something dawned on me.

As I was walking back to my apartment last night, I realized that not once did the thought that I wasn't going to get through it cross my mind. I knew that there was a light at the end of the tunnel and somehow I was going to be okay. My God was still good. I don't know how but somehow it would all work out. However small that victory might have seemed for me it was huge.

For the first time in my life, I was able to stand up for myself and now fall apart or turn on myself in the process.

Then this morning, I saw Jagger and I didn't care. The pain was gone. The hurt and anger was gone. The Lord heals in ways that sometimes we don't understand because it takes time.

I don't know where you are in your life today. If it is a morning after that you regret, a small victory that you have been able to overcome or maybe you are reading this wondering who this great God I talk about is. What I can tell you is that if you don't know God that's okay. If you want to it's not always easy and if you don't want to that's okay too.

Whatever walk of life you are in there are small victories every step of the way. What are yours today?

xoxo,
Em

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

Sitting in class this morning, we decided that we were going to learn about suicide. The thing that I thought I left in my past after March 14th of 2016. Then as I was sitting, listening and learning, I realized that I have the chance to use my experience to help others. Which I guess, I always thought was the goal after overcoming my struggle. I thought I was supposed to be able to talk about my issues and help others. However, that is easier said then done most of the time. It isn't easy to directly ask someone if they are struggling with suicidal thoughts or ideation. When we don't ask or talk about it just emphasizes the stigma. I guess my question is that while I learn about transitioning into professional school why did I think I needed to leave my past behind? It is a part of who I am and what I have overcome in my life. I feel like I should use it. Talk about it. The more even ONE person talks about their past and their issues the more it will help even one pers

Kryptonite

We all have our kryptonite, right? That one thing that gets us. Whether it's ice cream or a person, we have something. For me, it's a person. And I love him. Just saying that out loud is hard. We haven't had the easiest friendship for the four years of undergrad and the last couple of years were murky with feelings. When I graduated, we didn't talk and I had lost my closest guy friend that was a big rock in my life for a long time. Granted, there were big parts of my life he missed as I got into pharmacy school and what not but somehow he always ends up back in my life. I have truly questioned if it is the best decision or if I should just let him be. Every time, my heart and this voices tells me to let him in. He is my kryptonite. We fight. We don't talk. We come back. Then, we talk. I realize I still love him. I miss him not being in my life. I start to question again why. Why is he in my life? Why this season? Or why the last? It's not that I question

This is Only the Beginning

February 15, 2016 I always said blogging was stupid and was for the Serena Van Der Woodsens of the world. If you don't know who SVDW is then you haven't watched Gossip Girl, the white girl staple Netflix binge. However, I find myself as a SVDW writing my own blog. Why am I writing a blog? This is how I can cope with the pain of white girl life. Instead of using self-harm to tear my body apart I can use words to express myself. Basic white girl, right? I make no promises about the niceness or the morbidity of what some posts will bring but it will be me. White girl moments and all. Here I am. Almost 20, still trying to figure out who I am and what God's plan is for me. I will never fully understand how or why He does things, only that He does. All I ask is that as you read, you learn who I am and walk this life with me. Good, bad, and everything in between. Are you ready to take a leap of faith into the unknown of tomorrow? I am. xoxo, Em