Skip to main content

Sophomore Sentiments

May 4, 2016

Today I finished my second year of college classes and I don't understand how time has flown so fast. Just yesterday it seemed like I was a doe-eyed freshman that didn't know anything about studying or college. Now, I realized that in August I will be a junior and heck if I know what I'm doing with my life.

I also see how much is the past nine months I have become a completely different person. Everyone changes in college and I was always told that when I graduated college I would be a completely different person. Well low and behold, my mom was right. (once again!) My RA from last year asked me, "what have I learned this year?"

Answer: a lot of things. About myself and the people around me. I've seen what it means to fall into a pit and not know how a way out and then what it means to find a way out. The people that are there through the pit and love you through it are the people who genuinely love you. While this year I don't have the best bonding memories; I have found who I am.

I've learned that I have a band family that I love a lot and wouldn't trade for the world. I've learned that you can find friends in the most unexpected places. I've learned to laugh when nothing seems right. I've learned when nothing goes right to go left because why not. I've learned not to question the doors God can open and close or why. I've learned that there are seasons of life and seasons of friendships. While people come and go they leave their marks on who we are as a person.

To the short one: I've let go and said good-bye but you showed me what it means to be independent and to believe in myself when others don't. I've also learned what it means to not run away when someone falls unlike you did. You hurt me but I forgive you and still love you.

To my oboe sister: you will always be my sister even if I'm not yours. I miss you eternally and know things will never be the same after that night. You've taught me to laugh when nothing is okay. You showed me what it means to fake it till you make it. I've seen what it means to not be okay and accepting that.

To the hare: I miss you. I hope someday we will be okay. I'm grateful that we bonded in London and wouldn't trade those memories for the world. You have showed me what it means to lose balance of life but trying to find it again. You have shown me what being a true friend means. You love eternally. I have learned compassion from you.

To fluffette: where do I freaking start with you? You are a freaking doofus and make me laugh constantly. You've shown me what a genuinely loving guy friend and brother is. I cannot tell you what that means to me. You have also shown me what an intimate relationship with God looks like. God works through you even when you don't see it.

To my little sister: I was so afraid that we wouldn't get along and you have become one of my best friends. (dang!) We have laughed till we cried and cried through college this year. I don't know how I wouldn't gotten through everything without you. You have shown me what it means to work hard. constantly.

This year has been so much learning from people who I love and friends that are no longer apart of my life. I cannot tell you how much God has worked and changed me through this past year.

What will He do next year?

xoxo,
Em

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

Sitting in class this morning, we decided that we were going to learn about suicide. The thing that I thought I left in my past after March 14th of 2016. Then as I was sitting, listening and learning, I realized that I have the chance to use my experience to help others. Which I guess, I always thought was the goal after overcoming my struggle. I thought I was supposed to be able to talk about my issues and help others. However, that is easier said then done most of the time. It isn't easy to directly ask someone if they are struggling with suicidal thoughts or ideation. When we don't ask or talk about it just emphasizes the stigma. I guess my question is that while I learn about transitioning into professional school why did I think I needed to leave my past behind? It is a part of who I am and what I have overcome in my life. I feel like I should use it. Talk about it. The more even ONE person talks about their past and their issues the more it will help even one pers

Kryptonite

We all have our kryptonite, right? That one thing that gets us. Whether it's ice cream or a person, we have something. For me, it's a person. And I love him. Just saying that out loud is hard. We haven't had the easiest friendship for the four years of undergrad and the last couple of years were murky with feelings. When I graduated, we didn't talk and I had lost my closest guy friend that was a big rock in my life for a long time. Granted, there were big parts of my life he missed as I got into pharmacy school and what not but somehow he always ends up back in my life. I have truly questioned if it is the best decision or if I should just let him be. Every time, my heart and this voices tells me to let him in. He is my kryptonite. We fight. We don't talk. We come back. Then, we talk. I realize I still love him. I miss him not being in my life. I start to question again why. Why is he in my life? Why this season? Or why the last? It's not that I question

This is Only the Beginning

February 15, 2016 I always said blogging was stupid and was for the Serena Van Der Woodsens of the world. If you don't know who SVDW is then you haven't watched Gossip Girl, the white girl staple Netflix binge. However, I find myself as a SVDW writing my own blog. Why am I writing a blog? This is how I can cope with the pain of white girl life. Instead of using self-harm to tear my body apart I can use words to express myself. Basic white girl, right? I make no promises about the niceness or the morbidity of what some posts will bring but it will be me. White girl moments and all. Here I am. Almost 20, still trying to figure out who I am and what God's plan is for me. I will never fully understand how or why He does things, only that He does. All I ask is that as you read, you learn who I am and walk this life with me. Good, bad, and everything in between. Are you ready to take a leap of faith into the unknown of tomorrow? I am. xoxo, Em